Friday, February 10, 2012

Countdown

Hi all!
The countdown is on.  Not surprisingly, despite all the preparations to date, new and unexpected issue arise as the date of departure draws near.  So, I find myself in high gear, moving between taxes and fasfa, packing, saying my 'good-byes', moving, stopping insurance on the truck....
pant, pant!
Just a word about the work I'll be doing...
I am being hired as an international consultant by the only political university in the country - all Vietnam's political leaders must partake in education at this university (HCMA).
The country is striving toward middle income status in the world and is highly cognizant of its need to 'retool' political leaders to operate in this new place.  Wisely, they understand that old modes of thinking on leadership are outdated and no longer relevant.  So, they are seeking assistance from folks like myself and my colleagues at PSU to bring new and different materials and ideas to the table.  The request for this work comes from the apex of the Vietnamese government.
Vietnam is a one-party government, Communist.  Now, for those of us older than say 40, there will be the characteristic chill running down our spine accompanied by the many mantras of 'evil empire' crushed into our skulls by our own government in years past.
My challenge to us all - Recognize those reactions for what they are - reactions.  I have learned from the Vietnamese people - they have enormous wisdom to share with us.  As time passes, I will share with you examples of the depth and breadth of the caring in this society for its people and environment, and we will all learn to take care in our presumptions about what different modes of governance can do.
For now - one quick story.  When I first arrived in Vietnam, I held my breath looking for the inevitable sign that worst of capitalism has indeed infiltrated this society - the presence of McDonalds.  Looking everywhere, though, I could not find them.  So, I asked.
My Vietnamese colleagues explained how the government had, indeed, been negotaiting to bring McDonalds into the country.  They required, however, that Vietnamese farmers and Vietnamese meat be used.  They wanted to build the economic and social strength of the people of Vietnam, not just create another outlet for a transnational corporation to draw out the country's resources and leave nothing behind.  McDonalds refused, saying they used their own farmers and product.  Vietnam said, 'Okay.  We will not be doing business with you.'
Undoubtedly, there was profit in that deal that was lost, but the Vietnamese government cared enough about its people to resist the temptation.
more later!

No comments:

Post a Comment