Friday, February 17, 2012

Four Days to Go

Funny, when I first typed the Title for this post, I accidentally typed 'Four Days to God'.  hmmm...interesting!  One could definitely ponder that one!
This last few weeks has been a marathon of preparations to leave... and it's still not over.  Every once in a while, I catch my breath and am amazed at the 'never ending todo list'.
Of course, any major trip of this sort will require many preparations.  The thing, however, is that I have worked so hard the last few years to simplify my life so that I could walk this path!  I have divested myself from 95% of my material possessions, cleared all my debts, rented out my home, bequested family heirlooms to my children, moved into a room in my friend's home...
and yet, the 'todo' list to leave for this trip is pages long...
What does that say about our American lifestyle?  That is my question.  Yes, at 51 yrs old, I have a lifetime of 'stuff', not just in the proverbial closet but in my day-to-day existence.  But, I look at my friends in Zimbabwe who share a four bedroom home with four families (15 people in all).  And, I look at my friends in Vietnam who, similarly share single family homes with multiple families.  I do not believe, even in my 'simplified' version of lifestyle, that I have even touched their daily experience.
In my simplest form and with my meager earnings, my privilege still surpasses that of most people in this tiny world!  Things I take for granted, like potable water or a warm bed, can not be presumed by many of my friends...
the moral of this story?  I don't know.  I guess we all have to ponder that for ourselves and find our own answers.
I feel that, for me, the privilege into which I was born came with a responsibility and a request...that I share that with others, who for reasons not of their own making, didn't happen to be born in the richest country in the world.
funny...perhaps the typo in my subject line wasn't that at all!
my love to you all

No comments:

Post a Comment