Saturday, March 31, 2012

Fear and Grace

I have been feeling like this blog is somewhere in between a void and nowhere.
  When I write, though the numbers tell me some have perused my words, I don't know who.
  It is so entirely impersonal.
  I believed that I couldn’t share my deepest thoughts or feelings with total
  strangers...

Having reached this realization,
  I stopped writing all but the most inconsequential drivel.  
  I haven't written, really, since arriving here,
  but to tell the events and passings of the days.

I feel the need, now, to write.


And, I am intrigued with writing into the nothingness,
  curious about the strangers who may pass by,

  wondering if there is life out there beyond the cold,
  impersonal  touch of this keyboard and the blank screen  staring back at me.

I’ll take the risk and speak honestly,
  in part because I want to write and this is a blank page,  
 but also because I wonder if there are others out there
 who feel these things, struggle to find meaning,
 strive to live in that meaning,
 and wonder,
 ever, 
 if they took the wrong path.

Read only if you wish to hear real,
  touch deeply, and perhaps
  sense your own soul  in the words I share.

What lies heavy on my heart
  is fear.

It has been with me for some days now,
  creeping upon me in the dark of night,
  swallowing my dreams and leaving black emptiness.

And then that ruthless and unrelenting mistress of my ruin returns
  to bear upon my soul all my failings,
  to shout the idiocracy of my dreams,
  to remind me, once again, that I am aging,
  to laugh bitterly at the opportunities lost,
   the foolishness of my pursuit,
   and the vulnerability of my person.

Of late, she adds to her repertoire the suggestion that
  perhaps my carefully laid plans and work to prepare me to
  follow this dream were, in fact,
  wrong.

I am frightened,
  aware of my total aloneness in this life,
  frightened that, perhaps, I made the wrong decisions,
  that I don’t have what it takes to walk this path,
  that the offerings I bring to bear are not needed,
  not wanted.

When I can quiet myself, I hear whispers…
'Take a breath;
  walk;  
  remember yoga and its healing power;
  give yourself time;
  create a sacred space.’


‘You have come this far.
  Don’t stop now.
  Be present.
  Give it a chance.
  You have dreamed of this since you were a child.
  You just started.  You just started.’

All that sounds too hard.
  I don’t feel well, I don’t have the energy.
  I want to curl up into a ball and sleep,
   hide in a movie,
   stay in my room,
   sleep, sleep.
  That sounds good.
  That sounds like what I need, want.


‘It is true.
  There are many things you are not, and can never be.
  But, it’s not over yet.
  You dared to dream.
  Dare now to stand on the path you forged.
  Look around you,
  breath the air,
  touch what lies before you.


'Ask what you have to share in this moment
   and then offer it.
  It is that simple.
  Allow it to unfold.
  Allow.’


And, if I’m wrong?
  If I can’t find a place?
  If I don’t have what it takes?
  If there isn’t any value to what I offer?
  If my body fails me?

What then?
What then?!
I don’t have an answer to these questions.
  Even pondering them brings up more fears,
   like that of being a failure,
   of not being able to provide for myself,
   of being a failure…oh right, I said that already.

Those of you who know me, know that I’ve
  asked these questions many times in many ways.

Always, that wise part of my soul
  seeks to counsel me, comfort me, guide me,
   show me wisdom.

Always the child wants to run and hide,
  or scream and shout,
  or blame others
  or be the victim…

But, mostly she wants love and safety.
We all have our own path,
  that which can be walked by no other.
  So, in a very real sense, we are all alone in this journey.

And, we each carry within us the beast that wants to drag us into the abyss.
  But, we also carry the grace within us to love and tame the rampages of that beast;
   to reveal it for what it really is,
    a frightened child;
   and to find peace, even if only temporary,
   within our war torn souls.

I pray for peace for my self tonight,
  and for all those who
  feel the burning in their stomachs,
  the tears on their cheeks,
  and the hunger of their souls
  when they read these words
  and feel them as their own.

4 comments:

  1. We all struggle with our decisions in life and wonder if we have taken the correct path. I myself wonder many times if I may have gone a stray.

    Yet today as I come back to check on you and see how you are doing in your new adventure, wanting to reassure you that you are heard. My favorite is the purse filled with many things and yet you really can do with out those items.

    One of my friends, Roger Hodgson formerly of Supertramp, wrote a song that hasn't been released, about Christmas. The lyrics talks about how we run around spending money, going broke when what we really should be doing is spending time with our family. Forget the gifts and enjoy the biggest gift of family or friends.

    Wishing you the best and yes the blank screen starring back has someone listing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Carmen, for your kind words! I believe that, if we are honest, we all would know that we have faced these questions and doubts at some time (or many times!) in our lives. I believe that giving voice to our real selves releases our soul to live fully, to heal and to grow. Sharing on this blog is kind of a risk for me as I have never done so to a public audience. But, I'm going to give it a try.
    I hope you are well, and as always, I am happy to hear anything about what RH has done. He's one of my all time fav artists!
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen, I am so glad that Anna posted a link to your blog on her Facebook page. She and Cassy reconnected through Anna's photography. She did a lovely job on my grandson's photo shoot up at Silver Falls. Your daughter is so proud of you. I love reading the great things she says about what an inspiration you are.

    Like your previous commenter, I too really liked the story of the purse. Hmmm, I guess I really need to reevaluate my big purse, lol. It's also cool that you love Supertramp, as well. The first record I ever bought was a gift for my brother, and it was "Breakfast in America," by Supertramp.

    And yes, I too have felt great fear at various points in my life. The economy is still sucky here, so there has been more fear of late, but I always seem to come through it in a better place with a calmer outlook.

    I hope to come back a read more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello and I apologize for such a late response! For some reason (which I don't understand), I have not been able to access my blog except to write posts. But today, for some reason (which I also don't understand), I was able to access my blog?!
    I wrote 'Fear and Grace' because I do believe that many of us do struggle with these questions, and doubt ourselves and our life decisions.
    I'm hopeful that through my words, others may connect with and explore their own feelings, realize they are not alone, and find peace and solace in their hearts.

    ReplyDelete