Friday, March 30, 2012

Hoi An and the Flu

I just returned from a beautiful little coastal town, Hoi An.  The city is extremely vulnerable to, and is already feeling the impacts of, climate change.  My colleague is doing a project with the city to assist them in their endeavors to create an eco-city - green, friendly, safe...
It is a tourist town - like others you would expect to see - with an old town, lots of stores and restaurants.  At first, I was turned off by it, feeling like capitalism had landed its ugly marks on this quaint little town.  But, as I looked more deeply, I discovered that the shops were all run by local artisans who made the goods they sold.  There are beautiful things here, cloth being one of the primary products.  There are many tailors here, who make your clothes to fit at prices that you could never find in America.  There are wood crafts people, carving ornate figures and silk makers.  And in the center of the town, there is a huge open market where they sell every kind of vegetable and meat you can imagine, plus more!
The twin impacts of climate change and poverty make this little community extremely vulnerable, but they have big visions and are employing the resources they have in the best way they know to adapt to the dangers and develop sustainably.  It is an inspiration!
So, if your travel plans include a trip to Viet Nam, you must visit Hoi An and while you support local artisans, you can enjoy the festivities day and night, ride a bicycle to the beach and float down the river on a traditional Vietnamese boat!
My only regret is that on my second day there, I got the flu.  So, I spent almost the entire trip in bed!  Oh well...what you gonna do?  I was happy to discover this little burg and am happy to be back home so I can get over this bug!
my love to you all!
k

No comments:

Post a Comment