Monday, March 12, 2012

Week III...Already?

It's hard to believe it's already been three weeks.  The time is flying by!  The last couple weeks, I've been working full time on my contract with the university.  I've also been learning about life in the most densely packed city in the world.
One day, I went off (the university) campus for breakfast.  My mistake was in going at 7:30am.  As I approached an intersection of a minor street, I saw traffic jammed up so tightly, even a pedestrian couldn't get through.  There was no 'right' side of the street - cars and motos pointed every direction...and they were at a dead stop even as more vehicles piled in behind and around them.  There was a solitary policeman in the thick of it, whistling and pointing to get some movement.  And this was the intersection of a minor street!  It was so amazing that I stood there for 15 minutes just watching.  Eventually, I had to wade into the chaos as my restaurant was on the other side of the jam.  I literally had to climb over some moto tires and weave my way around the stalled vehicles.  It was amazing.  I learned that all the intersections were like that.
Then, as I walked down to the restaurant, I had to make way for motos that spilled onto the sidewalk.  There was hardly room for me to walk as the motos were speeding and filling up the entire sidewalk!
So, now I know - don't go out during high traffic hours!
On another note - the bouquet given me by the president is now blooming...huge pink/red lillies!  Perhaps I can get a picture when it gets light out.
my best to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment