Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hello from Ha Noi!

It is a stunning day here in Vietnam - 82, sunny with a light wind...absolutely gorgeous!  It is also International Women's Day - happy day to all you women!  You deserve this day!  And more like it!!!
This is my first post since arriving.  Much has happened in the last week and a half.  Upon my arrival, I stayed at a hotel to get through the worst part of jet lag.  A few days later, I came to HCMA - the university with which I have a contract - and moved into my room.
I spent the last week settling in, shopping for pillows and rugs and towels and cleaning my room.  My room also serves as my office, which I really appreciate as I can work or sleep as I see fit!  The room feels very good now, like home.  Actually, it is home!
People here are so kind and gracious...they bring me flowers, fruit, coffee, towels...all kinds of stuff to help me feel at home.  I can truly say that the Vietnamese people I've met are WONDERFUL!
I started working right away and am now deeply immersed in analyzing curricula and consulting on the writing of a book.  The work is exciting, exactly what I love to do - research, read, write and research more!
As simple as my lifestyle was in the states, it is even more simple here.  I do my own laundry here, by hand in a tub and then hang it to dry.  This weekend was really funny.  It rained all weekend so I couldn't get my laundry dry.  Finally, with clothes hanging all over my room, I decided to iron them dry.  After the second ironing, I had dry clothes!  I've learned to take advantage of the weather, so did more laundry this morning and have them hanging in the sun.  Hopefully, these will dry much more quickly!
There's so much more...but I'll save it for another day.
btw - if you are reading this, please post.  It's kind of lonely out here in blog land.  I don't know if anyone is reading my posts or if I'm just sending my thoughts somewhere into cyberspace!
love to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment