Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Forgiveness

Forgiveness

For the fact that, though I try,
  I can not understand your culture, your ways, your beliefs.

For the fact that, despite my acknowledged ignorance of your ways,
  I still judge you.

For the fact that I allow myself to dwell on 
  preconceived notions of who you are and who you are supposed to be,
  rather than see you for who you really are.

For the accident of my birth that affords me clean water, food and shelter,
  even as you, out of sheer desperation, drink from fouled waters, 
  your only real choice being whether to die from thirst or 
  from the pestilence living in the brown water you bring to your lips.

For the sins of my nation’s leaders, 
  heinous, self-serving acts 
  shrouded in language of ‘freedom, democracy and “free” market’.

For the contribution of my self and my fellow Americans 
  to your plight, and for our total ignorance 
  of the impact of our actions on you.

No comments:

Post a Comment