Thursday, July 5, 2012

Synchronicity & Hope

am struck by a strange and wonderful experience of late.
  I have written many poems on this blog in the last months.
  Usually, just a few people read the posts...my family and friends.

But, recently something happened.
  For some reason that I can not fathom,
  one of my poems caught fire.

Just two weeks after writing it, 
  more than 100 people had read it.
  I didn't say anything as I didn't want to bias
  what people read when they visited my blog (that's the researcher in me!).
  I wanted just to observe and see how this evolved.

But, now it is 3 1/2 weeks since I wrote it
  and the results are so interesting that I decided to comment.
  This morning I checked and 227 people have read this one poem?!
  Most people are not stopping to read the other poems,
  so I surmise they are visiting my blog specifically to read this one poem.

No one has commented on the poem,
  so I remain 'in the dark' about who is reading it
  and why.

But, one thing is sure;
  this one poem has attracted significant interest.

What's funny is that I wouldn't even count this poem as my best,
  yet, it is the one that seems to be making an impact on life…
  which leads me to the title of this piece, 
  and the contemplation this experience inspires for me.

The ideas I share next arise from my (limited) understanding of lessons from the New Physics.

    I believe that at an energetic level, everything -- all of life -- is connected.  If you were looking at the earth from the vantage point of the gods, you would see fields of energy spreading across the globe.  These energy fields contain an imprint or knowledge or spirit that affects all those who touch the field. 
    With this idea, you can explain simultaneous inventions at different points on the globe without shared communication.  We have many examples of that throughout human history.

Anyway,
  we are not gods, so our vantage point is ‘from the ground’.
  We mostly see what is directly in front of us.
  We have no way of knowing, must less understanding,
  how our actions fit into the vast energetic fields of life.
  So, we can’t possibly predict all the implications of our actions.
  I spoke of this quandary in my poem, ‘Fools or Heroes’.

In my own life, I have many stories of circumstances that had outcomes
  far different from those I had anticipated or even intended.
 
In one case, I found myself in a hotel room preparing to attend a meeting.
  I almost chose not to go to the meeting as I felt I had nothing to offer,
  and that my participation wouldn’t be beneficial.
  I was feeling particularly ‘small’.
  I finally decided to go and make whatever contribution I could.
  Several months later, I learned that
  my recommendation had been incorporated into a major international agreement,
  and is now guiding the work of many people around the world!

This is just one, rather extreme, example.
  But, it demonstrates my idea.
 
First, you never can know the full results of your actions.
  We are earthbound creatures and our perspective is limited.
  Second, whether we can see it or not,
  our actions might be part of a bigger energetic field,
  a force that is guiding human development and evolution.

I believe we are not asked to have the perspective of the gods.
  Rather, we are challenged to understand as much as we can.
  And then, we are challenged to take a risk to offer what we can.

We are to toss the pebble – ourselves - into the pond.
  Then, we watch.  We observe the ripples that our pebble caused.
  We learn whatever we can from our observations.
  And then, we act again based on our best knowledge and intuition and trust.

In this way, each of us can have an impact.
  Each of us can make our own unique contribution to life.
  Each of us can make a difference, make this world better.

This does, however, challenge us to trust that,
  perhaps we are part of something bigger.
  And that in order for us to develop and evolve as humankind,
  each and every one of us must find the courage to make whatever contribution we can,
  even when we feel small and insignificant.

There is synchronicity in life.
  Things, people, thoughts…are connected.
  Each action, no matter how small, adds up to something bigger.

We are part of something great and wonderful – life.
  And our life force is in trouble.
  Our planet is in trouble.
 
We are not small and insignificant.
  Rather, we all matter; we all count.
  So, we each make our own unique contribution.
  Our contributions work in sync with the contributions of others
  and together, we co-create and nurture the force that is life.

Now is not the time to give up and lose hope.
  Now is the time to discover that
  we are the hope!



No comments:

Post a Comment