Sunday, July 29, 2012

the Heat Index

A matter of extreme importance to me...
the heat and humidity outside.

As I have such a sensitivity to heat and humidity, I have been doing a bit of research. And, in that research I learned about the Heat Index, which is a combination of the temperature and humidity. As the temperature and % humidity increase, the Heat Index value increases. So, there is a chart of the Heat Index. It lists the combined values for temperature and humidity and then categorizes these values along four dimensions regarding the relative safety of being outside. The dimensions are 'Caution', 'Extreme Caution', 'Danger' and 'Extreme Danger'. So much for the amateur meteorology lesson.

Here in Viet Nam, we have been lingering in the 'Extreme Danger' zone for the better part of the last two months. Combine the 'Extreme Danger' of going outside with my extreme sensitivity to heat/humidity and I now understand why I keep ending up on a gurney at the doctor's office getting an IV. What is shocking about this is that I am an otherwise very healthy woman!

So, finally the temperatures have dropped this week. Now, we are only in the low 90s F/30s C with 80 humidity. This means that we also have finally left the 'Extreme Danger' zone in which we have been lingering these last months. Now, we are only in the 'Danger' zone.

Why do I spend time talking about such an apparently trivial subject? Simply put - this is our future, my friends.

I am learning from first hand experience that climate change is deadly...and it is affecting us all. Of course, the frail, elderly, sick and poor will be the first to succumb to the impacts of climate change. But, we all are in danger, even those of us who are healthy and strong or who can tolerate higher temperatures and humidity.

So, I was thinking - in honor of those most seriously impacted by climate change, perhaps we all could change just one thing that we do today that contributes to the problem, like driving when we can walk, or turning off unnecessary lights and techno toys, or eating fruits and vegys that are from our region...

Some say these small things can not change the problem...that bigger changes are required. I agree that bigger changes are needed. But, I also believe we all can make valuable contributions. Just imagine if all the people in the US today chose to walk instead of driving? How much less pollution would we put into the air????

We CAN make a difference!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment